Thursday, April 5, 2007

Beginning Writing

So this writing project started for me with some research and reading. I'm an academic, so research is a part of most of my poems, but it takes two very different forms. Sometimes, like for this Choreo piece, I do research on a specific subject. So for Jenkins, that meant a lot of internet database research, so i read a NYT article on his return home, a Far Eastern Economic Review interview with him, a 60 Minutes interview with him and some other pieces I found online that told parts of his story.

I reviewed the stories online and printed off the ones I liked, took them home, and read them again, this time underlining and taking notes. I keep a research notebook for both my academic and creative work. I find it a great way to organize both thoughts and quotes and it works very well for me. Everything is together and I always know where something came from.

Lots of times though, I'm just reading and researching in general, just looking for things that interest me and making connections between things. For example, my nephew (he's 5) and I were reading a book about alligators together. This was probably 4 months ago or so and he asked me if he ate alligator and when I told him he probably hadn't, but some people did, he responded that he could be an alligator scientist then. His theory was that you couldn't be a scientist of things you ate.

I love this idea and have been carrying it around with me. Last night, I woke up at 2:30am and had that racing brain thing (we all have this right? brain spins and spins at some ungodly hour? tell me you know this too.) so I turned on the radio. The BBC was all about the sailors coming home so I turned it to AM, where Coast to Coast was playing. http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ (Never hear it?? It's all about supernatural stuff, occasionally brilliant, mostly full of drunk and mentally ill callers.) There was a cryptozoologist on and I probably fell asleep after 30 minutes or so of his talk about lake monsters and Bigfoot type creatures.

This morning I wake up thinking about Nicholas's scientist theory and this guy as a scientist, put them together and come up with the draft of the poem below.

Coelacanth Mothman

His career report reads Scientist of animals I don’t eat.
Superhero if science is done.
We discuss our superhero desires. Him- Fight like Batman
but have eyepowers. Me- live underwater like Aquaman
and talk to the animals.

I buy him a book on cryptozoology; we discuss how some animals
lose their questions mark, there lie monsters
into gaint squid preening for their first photo.

The book says Yeti, Sasquatch, and Bigfoot are all different species;
lake monsters it believes are all the same. Maybe I will solve
Nessies when I get big.
We agree not to eat one. It’s a plan.

Tomorrow morning I will listen to the radio, hear what has been found,
rediscovered, turn to a new page in my notebook,
write Colecanth and Mothman at the top.


This usually how my writing process goes- I cram more and more stuff in my brain and my notebook and carry it around until 2 or more things touch and connect for me. So, I've been carrying this Robert Jenkins stuff around for awhile now and I'm still not sure what it's connected to. I think it's important to ground each section in specific an incident as possible, but I haven't settled on the incidents or their focus yet. As I come to them, I'll write them down and start to work on the lines, but as for now, I'm stuck on the big picture of the poem. I know I want to work with a North Korean official telling Jenkins on the sly that the US landed on the moon, I know I want Jenkins telling his wife goodnight in Japanese and she telling him goodnight in English while they were in North Korea. (I'm thinking of making this the end of the poem as well, the reversal- he now says good night in English, she in Japanese, their daughters in Korean. We'll see.) So I sit with these things for awhile and see what happens.

No comments: